Llanteg's Milestones and Turnpike Road

---County Boundary Stone---

We are lucky to have at the eastern end of our village a Grade II Listed Boundary Stone set into Castle Ely Bridge - this is just outsde our village.


---Milestones---

We also have two Milestones - one opposite Myrtle Villaa which is at the eastern end of the village and one on a disused loop of road close to Oakland's House.


---Milestone Makers---

The Milestones are marked 'MOSS & SONS 1838'.


---Turnpike Road---

They are on what was the old main turnpike road from Carmarthen to Hobb's Point.
Later to become the A477 trunk road into South Pembrokeshire.


---Llanteg Toll Gate---

Llanteg Tollgate was run by 'Billy the Gate', William Oriel - who was the village cobbler, tollgate keeper and vilage schoolmaster all rolled into one.
William's wife was an invalid and he would puh her around the village in a basket invalid chair.
Nothing remains of our village tollgate but it appears to have been situated at the S.W. corner of Llanteg Crossroads to the west of Llanteg Garage.

Wednesday, 1 February 2012

Llanteg Milestones

From 'Llanteg -Looking Back':

CRUNWERE MILESTONES
Our parish can boast two milestones, one at either end of Llanteg.  These milestones show the distance to Hobb’s Point in the west and Carmarthen in the east (with the Oaklands one showing 18 miles to Carmarthen and 15 miles to Hobb’s Point) and are marked at their foot by the manufacturer – Moss & Sons 1838.
With the help of Carmarthen Library mention has been found in trade directories of a William Moss and Son, iron founders in Blue Street, Carmarthen (1835).  William Moss also had Ironmongers, Plumbers, Braziers and Tinplate Works at Guildhall Square, Carmarthen.  Earlier in the 19th century William Moss of Carmarthen also issued copper trade tokens which read:-
PAYABLE BY WILLM MOSS CARMARTHEN – SWANSEA –
AND AT JACOB & HALSE LONDON 1813 (shown within a wreath of oak and acorns).
(Trade tokens appeared when the supply of regal coins was inadequate.)   These tokens were manufactured by Halliday of Birmingham.
We also have a County boundary stone set into Castle Ely Bridge as the stream beneath is the actual County and Parish border – there are no maker’s marks on this item.

No comments:

Post a comment