Llanteg's Milestones and Turnpike Road

---County Boundary Stone---

We are lucky to have at the eastern end of our village a Grade II Listed Boundary Stone set into Castle Ely Bridge - this is just outsde our village.


---Milestones---

We also have two Milestones - one opposite Myrtle Villaa which is at the eastern end of the village and one on a disused loop of road close to Oakland's House.


---Milestone Makers---

The Milestones are marked 'MOSS & SONS 1838'.


---Turnpike Road---

They are on what was the old main turnpike road from Carmarthen to Hobb's Point.
Later to become the A477 trunk road into South Pembrokeshire.


---Llanteg Toll Gate---

Llanteg Tollgate was run by 'Billy the Gate', William Oriel - who was the village cobbler, tollgate keeper and vilage schoolmaster all rolled into one.
William's wife was an invalid and he would puh her around the village in a basket invalid chair.
Nothing remains of our village tollgate but it appears to have been situated at the S.W. corner of Llanteg Crossroads to the west of Llanteg Garage.

Wednesday, 1 February 2012

William Oriel

From 'Llanteg Turning Back The Clock'.

William Oriel
William celebrated his 20th birthday on 13th February 1813 by marrying 17-year-old Elizabeth David at Marros Church. By 1822 William had moved across the parish border into Crunwere and was employed as a
joiner. The following year he was living at Milton Back and was described as a carpenter. William and Elizabeth remained at Milton Back, and following their deaths in 1855 and 1861 they were buried – like many other Oriels over the next 125 years – at Crunwere Church.
William junior was baptised in 1826 and went on to marry Sarah Davis in 1857. He was the tollgate keeper, cobbler and schoolmaster at Llanteg, combining the three occupations in the little tollgate building that stood at Llanteg Crossroads. Locally he became known as ‘Billy the Gate’.
Legend has it that he would push his wife Sarah around the village in a bath-chair, which would seem to bear out her gravestone inscription, ‘long in illness borne with great patience’. Sarah died in 1873, and William later lived at York Crescent until his own death in 1890.
William and Sarah had three children, their two daughters Ann and Sarah becoming the first and second wives of Henry James on Caldey Island (there is an unusual group photograph on page 108 of Roscoe Howell’s book Caldey showing Henry with both his present and future wives, two ladies of very different appearance). In 1882 William’s only son John married an Amelia Johns at Pendine, where he lived at Wheelabout,
carrying on his trade of carpenter/wheelwright.

No comments:

Post a comment